Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Responsible for providing mechanical engineering support in the creation and the development of new medical
device products (invasive and non-invasive).
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
- Researches, develops, designs, and evaluates mechanical and electro-mechanical materials, components,assemblies, processes and/or equipment.
- Conducts feasibility studies to verify capability and functionality.
- Develops new concepts from initial design to market release.
- Directs support personnel and coordinates project activities.
- Write and submit intellectual property (patents).
- Maintains detailed documentation throughout all phases of research and development.
- Investigates and evaluates existing technologies.
- Reviews or coordinates vendor activities to support development.
- Works under only general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- May provide work direction and guidance to exempt and/or skilled nonexempt levels of employees; may be asked to evaluate performance of and assist in career development planning for subordinates.
- Establishes and cultivates an extensive network of support to facilitate completion of assignments.
- Participates in the development of less experienced staff by setting an example, providing guidance and work direction, and offering counsel.
- May lead a project team. Participates in determining goals and objectives for projects. Influences middle management on technical or business solutions. May interact with vendors.
- Plans and organizes non-routine tasks w/approval. Initiates or maintains work schedule. Establishes priorities of work assignments.
- Exercises judgment in selecting innovative, practical methods to achieve problem resolution. Failure to obtain results or erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in serious program delays and considerable expenditure of resources.
- Bachelor's degree
- 6+ years of related work experience with a strong understanding of specified functional
- area, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Wide application of technical principles, practices, and procedures. Strong understanding of business unit function and cross group dependencies/relationships.
- Will perform this job in a quality system environment. Failure to adequately perform tasks can result in noncompliance with governmental regulations
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Has a sound knowledge of various technical alternatives and their impact.
JOB FAMILY:Product Development
LOCATION:United States > Temecula : Building G - TG Floor-5
TRAVEL:Yes, 20 % of the Time
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf