Synthorx, a Sanofi Company, is using a novel synthetic biology platform for the discovery and development of transformational protein therapeutics. We are hiring a driven Scientist with strong background in microbial protein expression and a working knowledge of protein biochemistry. This candidate will be responsible for the development of protein expression processes using Synthorx E.coli recombinant platform to support lead candidate selection, pre‐clinical studies and technical transfer to external GMP manufacturing partners. We are seeking a self‐starting, highly independent and collaborative individual, able to operate at high pace to meet aggressive timelines.
• Perform all steps of protein expression and scale‐up. Experience with microbial fermentation is required. Experience with E.coli fermentation is highly desirable.
• Experimentally determine methods to optimize yields and other process parameters for protein expression.
• Experience with recombinant production of polypeptides.
• Lead fermentation process optimization using a data driven approach.
• Experience with fermentation equipment at bench, pilot and industrial scale.
• Collaborate with platform and downstream process development teams to ensure efficient integration of fermentation and upstream and downstream functions.
• Develop standard operating procedures, document protocols and technology transfer.
• Support internal lead discovery efforts and pre‐clinical studies.
• Supervise/Mentor junior staff and provide insight and technical expertise for project progression.
• Maintain a high standard for quality control including up‐to‐date data records for all protein deliveries. • Troubleshoot challenging technical, experimental, and instrumental issues.
• PhD degree with a major in biochemistry, biochemical engineer, microbial physiology, biology or related field and 3+ or MSc and 10+ years of hands‐on experience with recombinant protein production.
• Experience with E. coli‐based protein expression including scale‐up preparation employing fermentation instrumentation and protocols.
• Strong understanding of microbial physiology and its impact on process optimization.
• Experience with platform systems for incorporation of novel amino acids into polypeptides is a plus.
• Experience with DOE methodology for improving fermentation titers is highly desired.
• Experience in protein characterization (SDS PAGE, Western Blotting, HPLC). Understanding of MS methods for QC is a plus.
• Familiarity with protocols involving extraction from inclusion bodies and refolding is a plus.
• Hands‐on familiarity with standard molecular biology methods.
• Regular activities require ability to communicate effectively and rapidly reprioritize to match dynamic and demanding timelines.
Additional preferred skills:
• Experience in technical transfer to external CMOs.
• Experience in regulatory submissions.
• Basic understanding of cancer biology and/or immunology.
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.