Marriott International is the world's largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
As a member of the CALA Finance Team, the Vice President, Feasibility & Development Planning (F&DP) plays an important role in the development planning process for new hotels for the Company's lodging brands and in the asset management process for existing hotels, serving the Company's interest and the needs of hotel owners and developers, investors, lenders and operators. The incumbent leads a team responsible for conducting lodging market research, preparing market projections and operating pro-formas to assess the overall economic viability of each hotel project. This work constitutes a critical, independent component of the business planning and decision-making process, underlying the strategic growth program for CALA.
The addition of new hotels and strategic growth platforms are key drivers of Marriott's earnings growth strategy and an important element in maintaining and advancing the quality and brand equity of Marriott's Lodging System. Market and economic evaluations are instrumental to achieving Marriott's expansion goals in new markets. At the same time, identifying and evaluating potential business opportunities for new hotels are key to the overall, long-range growth strategy of CALA and the Company.
The VP F&DP, is responsible for both (i) producing market and economic evaluations of potential business opportunities for all Marriott brands in CALA and (ii) identifying and pursuing new business initiatives and transaction opportunities in CALA. It is anticipated that these responsibilities will be split approximately on a 60/40 basis .
The incumbent will coordinate with and/or support multiple stakeholders in the Continent (e.g., President, CFO, Development, Asset Management, OFS, CMO, FBPs, CALA Design) and at MIHQ (e.g., Tax, Treasury, etc.) to ensure efficient processes and resolution on all development planning and feasibility issues.
He/she must be adept at tapping diverse sources of information, identifying profitable opportunities, anticipating challenges, devising and executing breakthrough strategies/approaches to deliver against the current and future business priorities, and engaging and partnering with key business leaders, owners and franchisees, thereby strengthening Marriott's competitive advantage through excellence in transactional and financial management.
Success in this position demands the ability to select the right markets, projects, growth platforms and partnerships; evaluate the business opportunity; and a passion to champion new business opportunities that build brand equity to help drive owner and franchise preference.
Ideal candidate profile
· Be the CALA market experts for Marriott, proactively identifying, tracking and anticipating trends, challenges and opportunities across the competitive market.
· Develop and engage a high performing team of financial professionals who can effectively partner with key business leaders at various organizational levels on strategic development and financial issues.
· Lead/direct the feasibility process for CALA, which includes pre-screening future projects and assessing merger & acquisition opportunities for viability; conducting feasibility studies and developing pro formas, assessing the impact of new hotel projects on existing hotels, and providing recommendations to senior leadership.
· Formulate creative solutions that maximize value for the business and make recommendations to address issues through appropriate changes to business processes and operating procedures in order to deliver accurate and timely information to stakeholders.
· Define ongoing business requirements and foster the continued growth of the department's analytical capabilities. Work closely with appropriate resources to ensure successful implementation.
· Provide on-going consultation relative to asset value maximization advising on benefits and potential risks, and providing plans for action, in collaboration with Asset Management, Finance leadership, Finance COEs (Project Finance, Treasury, Tax), CALA Design, Development, HDC, AMAC, Senior Management and Owners, as appropriate.
· Build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders (both internal and external) in order to effectively influence key business decisions and optimize overall work effectiveness and leverage information and insights to anticipate and respond to marketplace changes; involve various constituencies in problem resolution and increase their involvement as appropriate.
· Champion excellence in business ethics and integrity, social responsibility, cross-cultural effectiveness, and associate engagement.
· Contribute to CALA strategic growth by providing analysis on the viability of new brands, potential new market assessments, and any major operations initiatives in collaboration with related key stakeholders, while maintaining a balance between the owner's and MI's interests, developing solutions that create value for both.
· Perform other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
· Leading the creation, execution and ongoing assessment of the processes required for activating new projects within the Development process, including Global Design, Feasibility, Legal, Treasury, Finance Analysis, M&A, Brand & Operations.
· Ensure that activations for growth projects and initiatives are well-planned, well-executed, effectively measured and their sustainment planned.
· Oversight of the planning and execution of activation of initiatives in CALA for all projects that are a) high-priority and b) require coordination of multiple disciplines.
· Provide consultation on the creation and execution of growth initiatives and strategic studies in the region.
· Support reporting and presentations to Senior Leadership and Regional Team.
· As needed, assist owners and developers in identifying and tapping sources of financing for hotel acquisition or construction, including Marriott-sponsored financing programs.
Key talents and experience
· Bachelor's degree, or equivalent, in hospitality, real estate or finance-related areas (MBA preferred).
· Familiarity with hotel operating statements, operating structure and environment. Familiarity with financial modelling and valuations.
· Minimum of 5 years in feasibility (hotel market planning, financial analysis and valuation) and 5 years in hotel operations management. At least 2 years of asset management and 2 years of hotel development or related experience. Minimum 2 in project management.
· Possesses knowledge of key development, legal and operational issues related to real estate or hotel operations
· Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills with proven analytical skills and an understanding of economic valuation theories and processes; ability to take large volumes of complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner to senior management, owners and franchisees; uses data and a cogent problem solving methodology in decision making and impact assessment.
· High-powered, innovative leader, with strong management skills, initiative and a proven track record of successfully working in a matrix model.
· Skillful negotiator in tough situations; sells ideas persuasively; settles differences and wins concessions without damaging relationships; can be both direct and forceful while remaining diplomatic. Ability to identify and exploit new opportunities and reach a positive outcome, whether dealing with owners, partners or providers of capital.
· Strong interpersonal skills; must be a successful “networker”, both internally and externally; role requires considerable liaison with multiple stakeholders and maintenance of considerable internal and external relationships.
· Operates with a collaborative mindset to ensure that key stakeholders are considered, eliminating the need for duplicate systems; builds strong relationships to leverage information and insights to anticipate and respond to project risks; influences without authority; communicates well with project and other leaders; openly shares and does not withhold information.
· Ability to consistently make decisions in a timely manner sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; comfortable challenging organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness.
· Results oriented; delivers results under difficult conditions and demonstrates balanced judgment under pressure. Ability to assess, plan and get “the right priorities” done, on time and budget, at high quality levels.
· Responsive; ability to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
· Very organized.
· Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing; listens to others and effectively comprehends information.
· Ability to travel extensively throughout Latin America. Availability for periodic travel to the United States is also required.
· Willingness to work non-traditional hours (evenings and weekends).
· Verbal and written fluency in English and Spanish (Portuguese is a plus).
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.