Role Title: Credit Policy
Business: Risk - GRA, Capital and Liquidity risk, Pension risk and Finance risk
New or Existing Role: New
· This role forms part of the Financial and Model Risk Regulatory Policy and Engagement team. The jobholder is expected to lead on analyzing the impacts and interpretation of new and existing regulatory Credit Risk requirements (e.g. Basel 3, IRB Repair) for the GRA, Capital and Liquidity risk, Pension risk and Finance risk function.
· The individual will also be responsible for representing HSBC on relevant external for a (trade association and other industry meetings) on upstream regulatory developments to communicate policy guidance to stakeholders. This will consist of coordinating consultation responses either on behalf of HSBC directly or via industry bodies.
Impact on Business
· Provide guidance and opine on regulatory policy
· Preparation of consultation responses and, where relevant, submissions to regulators
· Drafting policy interpretations and opinions owned by GRA, Capital and Liquidity risk, Pension risk and Finance risk.
Customers / Stakeholders
· Global and regional Credit Functions (Wholesale Credit) – Wholesale Credit Risk Senior management team, GRA Regional Heads and regional Policy leads
· Global CMB, Global Banking and Markets
· Finance – Group Regulatory Policy and Regulatory Reporting teams
· Group audit – working with audit managers reviewing risk rating systems
· Regulatory bodies – in particular the Prudential Regulatory Authority supervisory and modelling teams
Leadership & Teamwork
· Work together with business experts from the Wholesale Credit and GRA teams and stakeholders to develop appropriate regulatory opinions and policy solutions
· Provide leadership to regions on providing regulatory guidance and policy opinions, including clear communication of the latest external regulatory developments to stakeholders from WCR, GRA, etc.
· The role holder will be expected to work with regional policy leads and GRA and Wholesale Credit teams to develop and communicate solutions to address rule changes or answers to specific policy questions and/or regulatory requirements
Operational Effectiveness & Control
· Develop consistent policy standards across regional GRA and WCR sites
· Provide challenge and feedback to global GRA and WCR teams relating to policy, standards and documentation
· Ensure consistent and accurate regulatory submissions
· Policy within Wholesale Credit is fast-developing owing to significant global regulatory change from Basel 2, 2.5, 3 and CRR/CRD4. The jobholder needs to be able to work in an environment of regulatory ambiguity with autonomy whilst being able to provide judgment and clear direction. The jobholder will need to work closely with Commercial Banking, Global Banking & Markets and Private Banking to communicate regulatory developments and assist with ensuring that regulatory requirements are met.
· GRA, Capital and Liquidity risk, Pension risk and Finance risk provides the policy, processes, infrastructure and guidance required to maintain a globally consistent and conceptually sound risk rating system and overall capital framework across Wholesale Credit and Traded Risk. The role is located in Group Risk and has global reach. The jobholder is required to develop policy and standards to be implemented across the Group and will be expected to work in a global team context. This may include overseas travel where appropriate
Management of Risk
· The jobholder is responsible for internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points
Observation of Internal Controls
· The jobholder is expected to maintain HSBC internal control standards, including the timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by regulators.
Ideal candidate profile
· Educated to university degree level or equivalent and it would be desirable for them to hold a relevant professional qualification
· Experience in general or wholesale banking including Commercial Banking, Global Banking & Markets or Wholesale Credit
· Good knowledge of the regulatory landscape particularly relating to credit risk regulations, risk models waivers for IRB, IMM or market risk or previous experience in a Regulatory Capital policy function
· Relevant working experience in a bank, rating agency, consultancy or advisory firm would be considered
· Experience of dealing with regulators is preferable
· Some understanding of statistics and concepts of the risk modelling process would be advantageous
· Ability to lead, manage and successfully deliver within the agreed time scale, in liaison with all relevant stakeholders: model owners, business, finance, senior management and regulator
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills are mandatory
· Manages self to deliver own work within timelines
· Flexibility to work with colleagues and key stakeholders in an international team
· Influencing skills are required as many resources will not report to the jobholder
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies.