At the intersection of AI and natural language understanding, voice-assistant technology is one of the most exciting industries to work in today. Part of its appeal lies in a relatively undefined scope: the nature of a nascent market dictates challenges and opportunity often lacking in more developed fields. Creating advanced personal assistants means understanding how to address the many ways a user can ask a single question, and appropriately inferring intent from metadata such as a customer's location.
At Alexa, we experience those challenges every day. Alexa is Amazon's cloud-based voice service, an intelligent assistant that powers groundbreaking devices such as Echo and FireTV. As well as influencing how customers interact with devices in their home, Alexa is shaping the way knowledge is consumed.
That's where you come in. We're looking for Knowledge Engineers to join us and help us expand Alexa's knowledge base in Arabic, and make her the most intelligent assistant in the world. As a Knowledge Engineer in this role, you will be responsible for solving complex problems like identifying the optimal technical and UX strategies for answering questions customers ask Alexa. You will become an expert in the ins and outs of launching engaging question and answer experiences on Alexa. You will own all aspects of a product launch, including ideation, prioritization, development, and post-launch metric monitoring, all with the goal of making Alexa the smartest assistant in the world.
Your responsibilities will include:
· Identify new content opportunities within Alexa to fill gaps in our understanding.
· Innovate on behalf of Alexa's Arabic speaking customers, enriching the ways customers receive information.
· Ingest and structure data to expand Alexa’s ability to understand and answer questions for a vertical.
· Closely monitor specific KPIs and drive improvements in question success rate.
· Partner with product managers and business leaders to enhance Alexa's informational capabilities.
· Develop and manage complex data pipelines.
· Drive new customer experiences, all the way from initial idea to launch.
· Ability to think critically and demonstrate a quantitative, systematic approach to solving problems
· Ability to strive to understand a problem before you approach it
· Excellent communication and team skills
· Ability to solve complex problems with analytical thinking
· Strong logical and conceptual thought processes
· Bias to action and ambitious personality
· Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Amazon takes your personal data protection seriously and respects EU and local data protection laws. Unless you express otherwise, by submitting your CV you authorize the hiring Amazon company to store your personal data in the electronic database maintained by Amazon Corporate LLC. in the United States or one of its affiliates for the purpose of assessing your suitability for this and future job vacancies and to pursue your recruiting process. If at any time you want your personal data to be deleted, you simply need to notify the hiring Amazon company. Amazon will not share your personal data with any third-party without your prior consent. As part of your interview process with Amazon you may be asked to authorize the hiring Amazon company to separately verify your application data and personal background through a third-party service provider.
Ideal candidate profile
Concise clear written communication skills (ideally demonstrated in your CV!) and excellent verbal communication ability.
• Fluency in English and Arabic
• Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent), in a quantitative or analytical field
• Able to perform data analysis that drives conclusions and informs project priorities/deliverables
• Able to structure single data sets in models that facilitate data retrieval and aggregate analysis (e.g. Excel, SQL, SPARQL)
• Able to perform basic data processing tasks to manipulate/transform/merge data