Amazon is expanding the Data Center management team in India. This position within Amazon Data Services India Private Limited (ADSIPL) requires broad Data Center knowledge with Subject Matter Expertise (SME) in as many specific fields as possible. The location for this job to be discussed, as there may be opportunities in several India locations.
This position serves as the primary operational resource to support ADSIPL within its owned and operated Data Centers in India. This position will provide a central point of ownership and accountability for the overall ‘hands-on’ management of the Mechanical, Electrical (M&E) and across ADSIPL’s portfolio of Data Centers in India. This position will be responsible for the overall operation and maintenance of the critical infrastructure supporting IT operations within the Indian Data Center space. It will also include event management, incident management, problem management, change management, and cost/contract management. In addition, this will include the relationship management with the landlords, critical facility vendors, Data Center Construction team, Data Center Operations team, Technical Program Managers, Security team, and Logistics team in India. The position will require 24x7 on-call, scheduled weekend work support and rotational shift. The location for this job to be discussed, as there may be opportunities in several India locations.
· Management and leadership of DCEO Engineering Team. Executes vision and goals for the team or department.
· Responsible for the overall operation and maintenance (both routine and emergency) of the critical infrastructure supporting IT operations of Data Centers. Has primary responsibility for availability zone of Data Centers (2-4 locations). Maintaining existing co-located and in-house Data Centers
· Managing and developing teams of shift technicians, senior shift technicians, sub-contractors and vendors, providing both technical and leadership expertise and ensuring highest levels of performance. Typically manages 5 or more direct reports.
· Liaising with internal teams & management groups. Work with IT managers and other business leaders to coordinate projects, manage capacity, and optimize plant safety, performance, reliability and efficiency
· Participates in strategic planning projects. Helping in design, build and bring online new Data Centers. Negotiates and rolls out contracts and space.
· Assisting & managing relationships with vendors & contractors
· Constantly improving all our processes and procedures. Establish performance benchmarks, conduct analyses, and prepare reports on all aspects of the critical facility operations and maintenance. Creating and maintaining metrics on all aspects of our Data Centers and utilizing those metrics to drive positive changes.
· Assisting in implementing service methodologies including incident management, problem management, change management, capacity management and reporting. Deliver quality service and ensure all customer demands are met.
· Participates in recruiting efforts. Continually raises the bar.
· Is active in the training and/or development of others
· Conducts financial analysis and contributes to financial decisions. Procurement for DCEO related expenditure
· Ensuring we adhere to and exceed local Health & Safety standards in all our Data Centers.
· Responsible for asset and inventory management.
· Assist in the design and build out of new facilities & multiple projects to increase current facility efficiency. Oversee the build out of Facility-specific infrastructure in existing locations.
· 6+ years of Data Center Engineering Experience
· 4+ years of Data Center Management Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or relevant discipline.
· Fundamental knowledge of IT Operations, Network Design, Low voltage (copper/ fiber) cabling
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or relevant discipline preferred
· 5+ years of Data Center Engineering Experience managing large scale services & proven track record of success in delivering complex projects
· 4+ years of Data Center Facilities Management Experience and prior ownership of the operation of a mission-critical team and/or product
· At least 3 years building strong, successful technical teams in a similar culture
· Fundamental knowledge of network design and layout (copper / fibre) as well as low / high voltage (copper/ fiber) cabling, BMS Systems, Monitoring and alarming systems
· In depth knowledge of Data Center Facilities such as generators, chillers, cooling towers, air handling units, UPS and DRUPS, electrical sub distribution systems, H.T. and L.T. Panels, fire detection and suppression systems, Bus-Duct System, cable reticulation system.
· In depth knowledge of Data Center capacity planning and reporting
· Demonstrates strong people/program management skills
· Strong leadership and organizational skills
· High degree of organization and detail-orientation
· Ability to prioritize & consistently deliver results in complex, fast-paced environment.
· Respond to out of hours emergency calls – second level escalation point for Data Center facilities related issues / failures
· Excellent communication skill (decision making, confrontation management, commitment, coaching the team).