Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 107,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries
At Abbott, we believe people with diabetes should have the freedom to enjoy active lives. That’s why we’re focused on helping people with diabetes manage their health more effectively and comfortably, with life-changing products that provide accurate data to drive better-informed decisions. We’re revolutionizing the way people monitor their glucose levels with our new sensing technology.
Our location in Alameda, CA , currently has an opportunity for a Senior Software Engineer – Mobile . Our Diabetes Care site currently has an opening for a Senior Software Engineer – Mobile to support product enhancements and next generation development for Abbott’s Freestyle Libre Continuous Glucose Monitor. In this position you will be a project lead on the mobile development side.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
· Works in a lead role in one or more aspects of the overall software development process (such as software design, code development, testing and/or maintenance) of application software or mobile application under a disciplined product development process that meets FDA requirements.
· Works independently on identifying new technologies for implementation into new product development and process improvements.
· Exercises independent judgment in identifying, recommending and implementing significant and/or complex new tools/process improvements to meet company objectives in areas of new product development, product testing, process improvement and compliance with regulatory requirements.
· May lead technical teams in the accomplishment of software design, testing and/or maintenance activities.
· Develops networks involving cross functional/cross departmental groups as well as communication to Senior Management.
· Readily adjusts priorities and works within team environment for timely completion of common objectives for multiple projects.
· Independently resolve significant and/or complex technical issues to meet company objectives.
· Technical leadership in one or more areas of mobile app / desktop application software development (such as software design, code development, testing and/or maintenance) including project scheduling activities.
· Reliably deliver high quality software within schedule constraints. Provides technical ownership of software products.
· Provide leadership to junior software engineers and other members of the development team as appropriate.
· Actively participates in product development teams for the development of new products and services.
· Works with the Software consultant(s) on the system and/or algorithm design and /or testing issues. Interacts with QA engineers to ensure that software products are robust and of very high quality.
· Implement software or testing designs efficiently utilizing appropriate development languages such as C, C++, C#, Java, Kotlin, Swift; and use tools such as Nunit or equivalent unit-testing tools, static analysis tools and version control systems.
· Research technical issues and propose technical approaches that achieve product and quality requirements.
· Participate in the full life cycle of development, from specification and design through implementation, testing, and support.
· Work on significant and unique issues where analysis of situations or data requires and evaluation of intangibles.
· Exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
· Bachelors in Electrical or Computer Science or related engineering or scientific field. MS or PhD degree ideal.
· 8 years relevant experience and a Bachelor’s degree or 6 yrs with MS degree. Will receive additional 2 years experience credit for PhD.
· Experience in software engineering management or technical leadership desirable. Good knowledge of software engineering principles.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
· Minimum 7 years of experience (such as software design, coding and/or testing) in applications programming and/or software development of mobile applications for safety critical products.
· As there are many aspects of software development (such as design, coding and/or testing), specific required experience depends on nature of responsibilities.
· Excellent troubleshooting skills are a must. Strong debugging techniques and experience on using debugger is required and/or use of testing tools to ensure high level of quality of software product.
· Strong working knowledge of the principles of quality software engineering as described by software lifecycle development processes that are consistent with ISO, IEEE, or other FDA recognized standards.
· 10+ years developing software products, full-cycle
· Strong application development skills (c, c++, Java, Kotlin, Swift)
· Demonstrated use of industry-standard practices in design, development and testing. Ability to efficiently architect and develop complex system components: (a) using industry-standard design patterns, (b) develop multi-threaded code, (c) develop complex algorithms
· Proficient use of appropriate tools and techniques for productivity and code quality: debuggers, profilers, unit testing, source control, etc.
· Experience using APIs in host OS (IOS, Android)
· Superior communications skills (oral & written)
· Ability to work with cross-functional team
· Experience with regulated industry (e.g. medical)
· Experience with USB communications
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
· Training and career development , with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
· Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
· Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
· Paid time off
· 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
· The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com , on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
ADC Diabetes Care
United States > Alameda : 1360-1380 South Loop Road
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf