Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health. Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Lake Bluff (Abbott Park), IL currently has an opportunity for a Principal Statistician .
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE
The Principal Statistician must be experienced and competent in various statistical and technical methods and possess excellent communication skills. The employee must have advanced technical and/or product development expertise; and be capable of assuming the necessary responsibilities in the absence of his/her
Manager. In collaboration with multi-disciplinary internal and external clients, (e.g. data management personnel; project manager; research associates; research scientists; etc.), the Principal Statistician must play a lead role in one or more projects; including providing scientific input to project plans. The Principal
Statistician is also responsible for experimental design, statistical plan writing, case report form and database development, oversight/preparation of statistical analyses, and all aspects of summarization of study results.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
· Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
· Provide statistical expertise at both the study and project level in the areas of: experimental design, protocol, case report form design and/or database structures, and analysis plans. Collaborate with medical writers to determine content of and to complete joint scientific reports, including review of such reports to ensure accuracy and clarity.
· Provide scientific input to project plans, which requires working knowledge of the disease(s) and technologies and/or processes being studied. Knowledge of the guidelines of worldwide regulatory agencies; ability to train scientists and marketing personnel; ability to conduct statistical portions of design verification, design validation, characterization and/or research studies is necessary. Must be able to communicate statistical concepts and interpret statistical results to non-statistical professionals both inside and outside division.
· Expert in R programming and/or other off-the-shelf statistical packages and familiar with SAS programming. Must be capable of choosing appropriate software and determining the reliability of that software. Must also be knowledgeable in validating and verifying software programs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
· M.S. or Ph. D. in Statistics or related field required.
· A strong technical background is critical to the performance at this level as well as understanding of the basic science that supports and links the compliance to regulations. Experience with diagnostic, device, or pharmaceutical product development and/or support, are highly desirable.
· Solid R programming skills or other statistical software programming and good understanding of data management systems is essential to this position
· At least 5 years experience in the diagnostics, device or pharmaceutical industry or related area is required with a MS or at least 3 years experience in the diagnostics, device, or pharmaceutical industry or related area with a Ph. D.
· 5 (+) years’ R programming experience.
· 8 (+) years' regulatory submissions work experience from medical device industry or similar industry.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
· Training and career development , with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
· Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
· Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
· Paid time off
· 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
· Pension Plan
· The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com , on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
Medical & Scientific Affairs
United States > Abbott Park : AP01A Floor-1
Yes, 5 % of the Time
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf