Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Our Neuromodulation business is an area of expertise for Abbott. This business includes implantable devices compatible with mobile technology to help people who suffer from chronic pain and movement disorders. Our Solutions include Proclaim (TM) XR SCS System, the #1 Spinal cord stimulator on the market, Proclaim (TM) DRG Neurostimulator, the only FDA approved DRG therapy and a market leader in radiofrequency ablation therapy, Abbott RFA. These non-opioid therapies allow us to provide interventional pain therapy to patients throughout the pain continuum. Our deep brain stimulation technology for progressive diseases help people manage their Parkinson’s disease and essential tremor symptoms, steering away from side effects.
Our location in Plano, TX currently has an opportunity for a Principal Scientist. This role provides scientific expertise throughout development, execution and reporting of clinical studies. The Principal Scientist applies knowledge of implanted medical device therapies to develop clinical trila protocols, trial registrations and results postings, clinical study project timelines and scientific publications.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Writes clinical evaluation plans and reports, study protocols, protocol amendments, informed consents, study reports, risk master lists and scientific papers for publication by evaluating scientific literature, analyzing scientific data and staying abreast of current clinical practice.
- Interprets results in preparation for product applications by evaluating clinical and scientific and risk data and literature, and staying abreast of current clinical practice.
- Participates in the development of clinical strategy and trial design by conducting meetings with the appropriate departments and individuals to obtain feedback and direction.
- Presents scientific data by communicating accurate, succinct summaries of clinical results at industry gatherings, investigational meetings and regulatory agency meetings.
- Facilitates regulatory submissions and communications by collaborating with Regulatory Affairs during the submission process.
- Creates, manages or participates in clinical evaluation timelines and budgets by utilizing the appropriate project management tools, selecting providers or external medical writers, managing vendor contracts as requested and ensuring expenditures are within budgetary guidelines.
- Facilitates communication between Sales and Marketing, R&D, Clinical, Regulatory Affairs, Quality, Risk Management, Project Management and investigational sites.
- Conducts team meetings, drafting and sending routine correspondence (e.g., newsletters) and presenting regular updates to senior staff.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
- Participates in and supports audits. May participate in root cause analysis, preventive or corrective actions and effectiveness monitoring.
Position Accountability / Scope:
- Understands business environment and relates extensive knowledge of internal and external technological activities to trends.
- Interfaces with senior management on significant matters, often requiring the coordination of activity across organizational units.
- Participates in the development of other technical contributors by facilitating training and providing feedback and guidance. May lead a project team.
- Provides technical leadership to business units, physicians and external partners.
- May act as a mentor to less-experienced staff and provide work direction or supervise other technical employees.
- Exercises judgment independently.
- Plans and organizes project assignments of moderate variety and complexity.
- Erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in failure to achieve major organizational objectives.
- Will perform this job in a quality system environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Advanced degree in sciences, engineering, medicine or similar discipline required. Expertise in one or more of the following required: deep brain stimulation, movement disorders, neuroscience, neuroimaging, brain-machine interface.
- Minimum of 5+ years of related work experience required, or an equivalent combination of advanced education, research and work experience.
- Experience with clinical trials, including IDE, PMCF or feasibility studies strongly desired.
- Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Has broad knowledge of various technical alternatives and their potential impact on the business
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
JOB FAMILY:Research and Discovery
LOCATION:United States > Texas > Plano : 6901 Preston Road
ADDITIONAL LOCATIONS:United States > Texas > Austin : 6300 Bee Cave Rd Building 2, suite 100
TRAVEL:Yes, 10 % of the Time
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf