Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
For years, Abbott’s medical device businesses have offered technologies that are faster, more effective, and less invasive. Whether it’s glucose monitoring systems, innovative therapies for treating heart disease, or products that help people with chronic pain or movement disorders, our medical device technologies are designed to help people live their lives better and healthier. Every day, our technologies help more than 10,000 people have healthier hearts, improve quality of life for thousands of people living with chronic pain and movement disorders, and liberate more than 500,000 people with diabetes from routine ﬁngersticks.
Abbott Vascular provides innovative, minimally invasive and cost-effective products for treatment of vascular disease. Our extensive portfolio includes drug-eluting stents, bare metal stents, guide wires, balloon dilatation catheters, imaging catheters and software, vessel closure devices and peripheral stents
Our location in Westford, MA, currently has an opportunity for an Operator 1.
What you’ll do:
Perform a combination of assembly, weld, x-ray, repair, and test operations on pacemakers, implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs), leads, and related medical device assemblies.
Working under close supervision, may perform a combination of assembly, weld, x-ray, repair, and test operations on pacemakers, implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs), leads, and related medical device assemblies. Performs routine assignments according to specified and/or standardized procedures. Work is closely and continually reviewed. Certain problems may be referred to supervisor or more senior level personnel within assigned department.
1. Performs Electronic Assembly functions:
- a. Assembles, welds, solders and x-rays medical devices and related parts using microscopes and applicable tools;
- b. Locates and corrects problems by examining x-rays and performing visual inspection of parts;
- c. Repairs and tests units using computerized test equipment.
2. Performs Casting/Coating functions:
- a. Examines medical devices and related assemblies after molding operations to locate bubbles, nicks and/or excess epoxy;
- b. Utilizes small drills, reamers, taps and knives to access bubbles and remove excess epoxy;
- c. Patches and repairs bubbles or voids using syringes and small tools; bakes parts to cure epoxy patches.
3. Performs Mechanical Assembly functions:
- a. Kits, assembles, bonds coats and processes medical devices and related parts using microscopes and applicable tools;
- b. Locates and corrects problems by examining devices and components and visually inspecting parts/assemblies;
- c. Repairs and corrects devices and related components using microscopes and applicable tools.
4. Performs Packaging Functions
- a. Kits, assembles and packages devices and related accessories using applicable tools;
- b. Locates and corrects problems using microscope and applicable tools;
- c. Reviews all device documentation for completeness and accuracy.
5. May set-up/utilize special test equipment. Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements, which may change from time to time based on business needs.
6. Notifies supervisor of the need to replenish supplies/materials and of any production difficulties that cannot be readily corrected.
7. Performs other related duties as directed or assigned.
8. Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
9. Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Typically six plus months of relevant training/experience in the assembly of digital/analog circuitry, devices, components or equivalent.
- Demonstrated manual dexterity and hand/eye coordination.
- Must be able to use standard hand tools used in the assembly of bio-instruments/bio-devices. Incumbents are required to work cooperatively and productively with others.
- Must be able to multi-task and rotate through all jobs performed in the assigned work group as needed. Incumbents must also be able to meet deadlines on multiple projects.
- Incumbents are required to have demonstrated spelling, punctuation, grammar, basic math/numerical, organizational skills, and a familiarity with standard manufacturing/office equipment and procedures.
- The ability to read, write, and communicate effectively in English is also required; this requirement includes clear, understandable speech and demonstrated comprehension skills.
- The ability to successfully pass a reading comprehension pre-employment examination is mandatory.
- The demonstrated ability to understand and comply with applicable Food & Drug Administration (FDA) regulations and Company operating procedures, processes, policies and rules is essential.
- Must have the ability to on occasion lift up to approximately 25 pounds.
- Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross-division business unit model preferred.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
- Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Regularly scheduled overtime is a requirement of this position. Desired Qualifications
- Some formal training in assembly techniques; experience with assembling manufactured items in a bioinstruments/bio-devices related facility.
- Prior experience working in an air-conditioned clean room manufacturing environment requiring stringent environmental controls
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our priority
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future.
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
LOCATION:United States > Massachusetts > Westford : 4 Robbins Road
TRAVEL:Yes, 10 % of the Time
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf