Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Nourish the world and your career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.
Our Nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands – including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® – to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
Our location in AltaVista, VA is Abbott’s largest Nutrition manufacturing plant in the world. But working here, you’ll feel part of a family – a family of 650+ that works together to help nourish the world.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Repair gear heads and reducers, run all types of piping including black iron, stainless steel, copper, PVC and flexible tubing, install various components including: seals, bearings, o-rings, gaskets, adhesives, belts, chains, rollers, sprockets, gears and sheaves, troubleshoot repair/rebuild centrifugal/positive displacement pumps, weld stainless steel, carbon steel, aluminum, fabricate guards, etc. out of sheet metal and lexan, cutting of metal with a plasma cutter or torch, wire and repair electric motors, repair basic wiring and replace lighting fixtures and lamps, correctly size fusing, motor overload protection and wire size per National Electric Code (NEC), read electrical schematics and wire directly from wiring diagrams, use of electrical and precision tools to complete assigned work.
- Follow all plant and department procedures, GMP's and plant safety rules.
- Keep all work areas clean and neat.
- Housekeeping of the shop is primarily the responsibility of everyone working in the area.
- Lead other employees including directing other maintenance personnel on a job and providing OJT for employees new to the department.
- Record and communicate shift activity in an organized manner.
- Properly use the plant work order system and follow all stockroom procedures.
- Audit equipment and develop replacement part lists. (The above description covers the most significant duties performed and does not exclude other occasional duties not mentioned.
- Tasks may require individuals to work any shift, any department, weekends and overtime to support production and general plant needs.
- Some training may require outside travel and overtime.
You’ll also be accountable for providing excellent customer service to the production teams and meeting our compliance standards including FDA, OSHA and Abbott policies and procedures.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Two-year mechanical/electrical technical experience
- Proficient in performing repairs to production equipment and plant utility systems, troubleshooting complex, high-speed filling, packaging and conveying equipment, make machine adjustments to liquid line seamers, bottle sealers and bottle cappers, adjust timing systems such as rotary sterilizers or tray wrappers for proper operation, ensure proper operation of electrical / mechanical components and devices (push buttons, switches, timers, solenoids, electrical disconnects, AC and DC motors), troubleshoot and repair filtecs, taptones, barcode scanners and video-jet ink printers.
Electrical/mechanical skills with utility systems; machining or welding parts, experience with reading blueprints and schematics, experience with pumps, motors and drives; knowledge of the use of precision tools/instruments.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our priority
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
JOB FAMILY:Facilities & Maintenance
DIVISION:ANSC Nutrition Supply Chain
LOCATION:United States > Altavista : Building 1
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Lift, carry, push or pull weights of more than 20 pounds/9 kilos on a regular/daily basis
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf