At Abbott, we're committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 130 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 107,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 160 countries we serve.
Abbott Point of Care is a worldwide leader in providing with-patient care solutions that are intuitive, reliable, and cost-effective for our customers. By delivering lab-quality results in minutes, our i-STAT® System family of with-patient products and services fosters a collaborative, patient-centred environment while driving operational performance.
We are headquartered in Princeton, New Jersey, with more than 1,500 global employees and a presence in 84 countries. Our 46,500 square metre manufacturing facility, Abbott Pointe, is located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
There is a critical need to develop and launch a high-sensitivity cardiac test which can detect an extremely small quantity of Troponin in blood. Troponin is a protein released by the heart when it is in distress. The new Point-of-Care Troponin test will be several times as sensitive as Abbott’s current on-market cTnI cartridge.
Status: 4 Month Contract/Full Time Hours
Your particular focus will be on the TnI-Nx cartridge, developing and validating processes involved in the manufacture of our new TnI-Nx product.
As a member of our New Product Introduction Team, you will play a key role in improving product performance by building expertise on the product’s fluidic systems and reagent-based assays. You will use engineering principals to work with R&D, Design Transfer, and Product Engineering staff in a collaborative environment to develop, validate and implement improved processes and designs.
Create and execute efficient experimental strategies using DOE methods to identify potential design improvements
Independently execute assigned tasks by applying standard engineering theories, concepts and techniques
Document results of experiments in a manner consistent with the Quality System
Create verification, validation and engineering file protocols and reports consistent with the Quality System
Attend cross-functional team meetings to share information
Keep up-to-date with the latest technical developments in related areas, assess and integrate appropriate changes to work practices
Experience with GMP and in working in an ISO and FDA regulated environment is an asset. Experience with LEAN Six Sigma manufacturing principles is an asset
Superior analytical and problem solving skills: experience with statistics.
Organizational and leadership skills. Project management experience is an asset
Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to interact effectively with all levels in the organization
Required Education and Experience:
- Enrolled in Bachelor’s degree program in Science or Engineering with Chemical, Biochemical, Biomedical or Mechanical Engineering focus;
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving skills; critical thinking skills;
- Ability to design experiments, analyze and interpret data, and document conclusions;
- Analytical skills, creativity and innovative approach to problem solving;
- Ability to collaborate effectively with multidisciplinary team members, and work independently;
- Willingness to work in labs, manufacturing areas, and office environments;
- Very strong investigation skills, drive to understand and solve problems;
- Propensity for continuous learning and experimentation.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts and statistics.
- Effective at dealing with a variety of people and understanding/communicating their requirements.
- Self-directed, proactive and not easily discouraged.
- Excellent organizational, planning and scheduling skills.
- Good oral/written communication skills.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment is considered an important asset.
- Experience working in an ISO and FDA regulated environment is an asset.
- Experience with LEAN Six Sigma manufacturing principles is an asset.
Abbott Canada is committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of individuals without discrimination based on factors such as race, sex, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion, disability, age, citizenship, family or marital status, political beliefs, sexual preference or other factors included in human rights legislation.
Our diversity goals for recruitment, hiring, and retention are embedded in our corporate goals, and our diversity initiatives are supported by the highest level of the organization.
We strongly believe that a diverse workforce fosters more creative and innovative thinking throughout the organization. Creating an inclusive environment, where everyone is respected and valued, enables us to leverage our diversity as a business driver and strengthens our position as a global leader.
Abbott strives to promote and maintain an inclusive, high-performing culture that allows all employees to reach their full potential and contribute to Abbott’s success.
JOB FAMILY:Product Development
DIVISION:APOC Point of Care
LOCATION:Canada > Ottawa : 185 Corkstown Road
WORK SHIFT:M-F (Canada)
MEDICAL SURVEILLANCE:Not Applicable
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)