Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
This is a technical role with the candidate expected to serve as a critical contributor to the design of compelling informatics products within Abbott's Diagnostics Division. The individual will lead the efforts around the multi-channel interactive experiences in informatics products from concept through launch. She/he will also be responsible for supporting on-market products post-launch.
- She/he must envision, perceive and build the digital product design to support ADD customers.
- The individual is responsible for identifying components, frameworks and best-in-class patterns that will ensure that the designs are both intuitive and thrill customers.
Core Job Responsibilities
The individual will be responsible for analyzing customer needs, both spoken (via use cases, requirements, or like) and unspoken (via experience, lateral markets or like) to create innate, engaging UX and product experiences.
- The individual must be a critical thinker and creative problem solver who can design and mold unique, differentiated user experiences across desktop, web and mobile.
- She/he will be responsible for creating & maintaining documentation for the artifacts created during the design process.
- The individual will assist in developing the UX process, tools and templates as needed to build a best-in-class function.
- She/he will foster UX artifact reuse, maintenance and consistency across multiple projects and project teams.
- The individual will develop initial design specifications; build design artifacts and prototypes as necessary to identify risk and effort during development of applications.
- The individual will be responsible for ensuring the continuous improvement and iterative evolution of UX architecture.
- She/he must ensure their work is compliant with the ADD Informatics Quality system.
- The individual should conceive plans, execute and track their design projects.
- The individual may travel occasionally per needs of the assigned project.
Position Accountability / Scope
- The individual is responsible for the design, development and commercialization of informatics products in compliance with internal policies and procedures, both US and Foreign regulatory standards and requirements.
- The individual is responsible for the successful implementation and support of UX design on development projects and on-market products.
- She/he is accountable for the assessment of technical risks on informatics programs and on-market products.
- The individual must have prior experience operating in Scrum-based development teams.
- The individual will interact with project managers and R&D leadership on project scope, timeline, risks and budget.
- The individual will drive user research activities including the creation of personas, scenarios, journeys, wireframes, workflows, prototypes, interaction / experience models and functional specifications.
- She/he will plan and conduct usability (UX) testing and evolve the design based on the findings.
- The individual will also be involved in broader Human Factors Engineering (HFE) research and test. She/he will make or recommend the design updates as-needed to improve product ergonomics.
- The individual will effectively aggregate and communicate research findings, concepts, detailed designs and design rationale, both visually and verbally.
- She/he will work with a broad range of technologists and support personnel both within and outside of Abbott.
- Bachelor's degree in one or more following: Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Cognitive Science, Human Factors, Information Architecture, Human-Computer Interaction, Fine Arts, Visual Communication or a related design or behavioral science discipline. An advanced degree in one of the above disciplines is preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience at a startup, mid- to large-sized corporation is required. The candidate must have experience in developing and launching unique software/informatics products in one or more industries: healthcare, logistics, defense, etc.
- The candidate must possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Prior experience and mastery of one of the following design and prototyping tools such as Adobe InDesign, InVision, Axure, SolidWorks, Adobe Illustrator, Dreamweaver CC and PhoneGap Build is required.
- The candidate must have prior knowledge of user-centered design principles, methodologies, practices applied to desktop-, web- and mobile-based applications.
- The individual should have detailed understanding of common Web-based frontend application and layout frameworks, including Reactjs, Bootstrap and Flexbox.