Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
A healthy heart is essential to good health. That's why we're committed to advancing treatments for people with cardiovascular disease. As a global leader in Cardiac Rhythm Technologies, our breakthrough medical technologies help restore people's health so they can get back to living their best lives, faster. We focus on innovative technologies that can improve the way doctors treat people with heart arrhythmias, or irregular heartbeats.
Our location in Sylmar, CA, currently has an opportunity for a Engineer II, Mechanical (MRI Safety).
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Collaboration across functions in the realization of implantable cardiac and neuro-modulation systems.
- Design (using CAD tools), prototype, fabrication, and implementation of product components, test equipment, and manufacturing tools.
- Development and execution of test protocols, including data analysis and report generation.
- Development and streamlining of manufacturing/fabrication processes.
- Formalized documentation of technical drawings, test protocols/reports, and manufacturing documentation.
- Characterization of safety of our implantables in a MRI environment.
- Design parts to meet specific design goals
- Use empirical and experimental analysis to evaluate designs.
- Involved in test method and model development
- Identify potential issues with designs
- Work with internal departments and outside vendors to obtain prototype parts
- Support invention disclosures
- Support pre-clinical and clinical testing of devices
- Support design reviews and physician visits
- Plan, coordinate, and execute activity in support of project goals
- Gain an understanding of the developing clinical environment (i.e. current treatment methods, evolving clinical needs etc.).
- Gain an understanding of the quality and regulatory requirements of Abbott, FDA and ISO regulations
- Independently manage time and completion of assigned tasks.
- Prioritize and manage technician time when needed.
- Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
- Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering (or closely related), or Biomedical Engineering (with demonstrable proficiency in Mechanical Engineering concepts and skill-sets) with Minimum 3 years’ experience.
- Proficiency in CAD (ProE/Creo or Solidworks or equivalent) required.
- Proficiency with analytical tools (Matlab, Excel, LabVIEW, Python, etc.) required.
- Basic proficiency with lab instrumentation (oscilloscopes, VNAs, data acquisition systems etc.) required.
- Basic proficiency in electrical engineering concepts is required.
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
- Outstanding verbal and written technical-communication skills with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
- Multitasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (or closely related)
- Experience designing and testing medical devices preferred.
- Exposure to a variety of manufacturing processes and designing for manufacturability preferred
- Familiarity with machining, 3-D printing and fabrication is highly desirable.
- Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross-division business unit model preferred.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
JOB FAMILY:Product Development
DIVISION:CRM Cardiac Rhythm Management
LOCATION:United States > Sylmar : 13150 Telfair Avenue
TRAVEL:Yes, 20 % of the Time
MEDICAL SURVEILLANCE:Not Applicable
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf